At last, you are done with the email. One that took almost an entire two minutes to type out. It is basically a deep conversation with six auto-corrects and one paragraph, but a delight to read still.
You tap send, happy to get that out of the way and move on to other things, but suddenly, the spinning indicator halts and you now have “1 Unsent Message” staring at you from the status bar.
I feel your pain.
“Unsent” is simply a stuck email, so not to worry, we’ve got you covered with the easy fix.
Rectifying Your iPhone Email Issues
Immediately an email get stuck in your iOS outbox, it can be a bit exhausting. Especially when this is first time you are experiencing it and you have no clue on what next to do to fix the problem. Lets put you out of your misery and explain to you how you can get that stuck message to work properly again.
1. Reboot Your iPhone
This is the simplest and reliable method to rectify a stuck email. What you have to do is:
- Hold down the Power Button and Home Button at the same time till the Apple logo appears on your screen.
- Make sure that your data connection is very much active, if not, make use of an available wi-fi connection before the next step.
- Turn on your iPhone and re-open your Mail application.
The message will send automatically. If it is still stuck, try a resend.
2. Try A Resend
If you are still reading then you tried a reboot and it failed to work. Do not bother, to try a resend, do this:
- In the Mail application, go to “Mailboxes” and select “Outbox”.
- Click on the stuck email, which will be marked by a red exclamation point.
This should fix it, if not, there is more.
3. Get Rid Of The Stuck Message
This has to be the last resort in times like this. Ensure you copy the message before deleting, and paste into the body of a different message so it can be recovered easily.
- In the Mail app, go to “Mailboxes” and choose “Outbox”.
- Click the Edit button.
- Select Thrash.
This will delete your stuck message.
Go back to where you pasted the original message and send to who you have in mind.
4. Airplane Mode
This step is for those scarce cases of a message that is stuck and has refused to be deleted.
When that happens,
- As your phone is powered on, go to Settings and toggle your device into Airplane Mode.
- Immediately it is in airplane mode, power your phone off normally by holding down the on/off button until the slider pops up.
- Turn it off and hold on for 15 seconds before powering back on again.
- When the phone is on, open the Mail app and go to the outbox that is stressing you. If it is no longer there, then it means the mail has been sent.
- If you can enter “Outbox”, the Edit button will no longer be grayed out, signifying that you can now use it to delete the email message.