In this article, we will see how to manage Chrome extensions and install and uninstall them; let’s move on. Google Chrome allows third-party software developers to add functionality to the web browser by creating extensions.
You can install extensions with one click and just as easily remove them if you decide you don’t want to use them anymore. Use the Chrome extensions menu to remove an extension from the browser. Below is a complete tutorial on managing Chrome extensions, enabling and disabling them with just one click.
What are Chrome Extensions?
An extension should have a minimal interface but could extend to a web page as well, but the main goal is to provide good functionality with less overhead. The extensions are packaged in a .crx package; the user has to download the package and install it. The Chrome extension is published in the Chrome web store.
How to manage Chrome extensions
There are some methods to install and uninstall Google Chrome extensions; most people will only take seconds to add or delete Chrome extensions from the browser.
1. How to install a Chrome extension
There are a few ways to install a Chrome extension, but first, we’ll follow the “normal” method.
- Choose a Chrome extension from the Chrome Web Store.
- Select the button named Add to Chrome.
- Choose Add Extension when the installation pop-up appears.
To add your homemade Chrome extension, you must first enable a special mode so that Chrome will allow you to import raw files:
- Select the three-dot menu at the top right of Chrome.
- Go to More tools> Extensions.
- Press the button next to Developer Mode at the top of the page.
- Choose the Upload unpacked button.
- Locate and select the folder that contains the Chrome extension files.
- Choose Select Folder.
Follow these steps to install a Chrome extension that isn’t in a folder, such as a CRX file that you downloaded from a third-party site or that you created yourself:
- Repeat steps 1-3 above (from the second set of instructions).
- From the extensions screen, drag the CRX file onto the page.
- Select Add extension.
2. How to uninstall Chrome extension
It’s super easy to get rid of unwanted extensions from Chrome. You can do this extremely easily from the toolbar, but there is another way to access the uninstall option if the extension is not visible. Both are described below.
Do you see the extension icon in the toolbar? If so, right-click the extension icon and select Remove from Chrome… from the drop-down menu.
If you don’t see the extension icon, it may be because you have hidden it. Another reason is that you are in Incognito mode, and the extension is not configured to be used in that mode (that is if it only works in normal mode, which is the default option for all extensions).
Fortunately, there is another way to get rid of the extension. For Chrome extensions that are currently not visible, open the Extensions page to see all installed extensions:
- Select the three-dot Chrome menu and go to More tools> Extensions.
- Find the extension you want to remove.
- Choose the Remove button.
- Confirm the uninstallation by selecting Remove again.
3. How to use Chrome extensions in Incognito mode
Chrome extensions are not enabled in Incognito mode. At least, not by default. But if you want, you can force Chrome to enable extensions in Incognito mode from the Extensions page:
- Access the extensions page using the instructions above. Do this from a normal Chrome window (not incognito).
- Select the Details button next to the extension in question.
- Scroll down to the Allow incognito setting and enable the option by selecting the button to the right.