It is very important to update your devices, as this write-up will show how you can update your Mac computer. These days, manufacturers of technology equipment have made it possible for users to update devices they use, such as smartphones, tabs, Windows systems, or any other devices using Android or iOS.
The five main reasons why anyone should eagerly be interested in updating their systems or devices are listed here:
1. Better security: this appears to be the best reason anyone should quickly update their devices as soon as the latest updates are out. Old or outdated software is usually vulnerable to hackers and other cybercriminals.
2. Increased efficiency: Your device could be running slowly or hanging at intervals, but when you update it, it could quickly start working optimally again. Because updates offer new and improved features, updating your Mac OS or any other device is mandatory.
3. Compatibility: existing software may not be compatible with newly released upgrades. Therefore, an upgrade is essential. Some features that have been removed may cause your Mac OS to operate with difficulty.
4. Appear on-point: Your business will appear outdated when you make use of obsolete equipment or devices. Give everyone a reason to do business with you when you show your client that you’re on top of your game.
5. Save costs: Instead of spending money on repairing stuff, updating, which often doesn’t cost a dime, is the best way to go. It doesn’t make sense to repair the damage a virus or malware may have caused to your device. The cost may be higher than buying other equipment, so save costs by updating your Mac OS.
What is Mac OS?
Short for Macintosh, the computer known as Mac is now so popular worldwide. It is manufactured and sold by Apple Inc. Mac OS is the graphical operating system developed by Apple for more than 20 years. Mac OS is the second most popular operating system in the world today. The system is always updated at regular intervals by the manufacturing company.
Issues to face if you don’t update Mac OS
- Your device lags
- Bug infestations
- Your device is vulnerable to hackers
- Data breach
If you don’t want any of these, hurry now and update your Mac OS if it is not the latest software. You can be up-front with arming yourself with information that will tell you when an update is out.
What to do before you proceed to update
Below are a few checklists to go through so that the process of updating your Mac OS is without issues.
- Make sure you have a good internet connection: That means your internet connection must be strong and fast. However, the source must also be reliable so that your precious Mac OS data may not be exposed.
- Check disk space before you begin the update: Remember that you’re not looking for a parallel space. Your installer needs more than enough room to work adequately. Freeing up space up to about 20 GB on your Mac is reasonable enough.
- Backup your Mac: This step is important in case something goes wrong. You may be able to replace lost files if something unintentional occurs. Use the Time Machine tool to do the backup.
- Stay logged in on iCloud during the updating process: this is important, seeing that many apps and system software are linked to iCloud. They will all be ready for download when you’re updating your Mac OS.
Download Mac OS
Go to Mac App App Store and Download the latest OS. You will see that the latest version, as at when this article is being compiled, is MacOS Monterey (12.2.1), and it is 12.1 GB. So, if you have at least 20 GB in your Mac, you have enough room to work without storage issues occurring. Take note that this software is free.
Now, let’s go to the next first steps:
- Click on Download.
- Enter your Mac OS username and password if asked.
- After download, the page will have a pop-up that urges you to click Continue.
At this stage, you may continue other necessary activities.
Install Mac OS
So, you must have downloaded the operating system at this stage. Don’t forget that you’ve been downloading massive data online that took a lot of time. Be patient as the process completes.
You’ve seen the pop-up that urged you to Continue. You can click it now. Then follow the next steps.
- You will be presented with the option to select your disk. If that didn’t come up, click Show All Disks.
- After that, click Install. Mac should start installing files at this time. Once complete, it will restart.
It is now time to update your Mac OS. Take note that the downloading and installation process must have gone on correctly.
Update Mac OS
- Go to the Apple Menu. You can find it at the top left corner of the screen.
- Select About This Mac. A new window appears.
- Click the Software Update option.
- Check for available Mac OS updates. There, you will find System Preferences. Search for the new Mac OS updates.
- Click on Update Now to install and download the update.
Update Mac OS automatically in the future
The next steps will help you to download and install Mac OS in the future automatically. That is better and easy. It assures that you don’t need to look for updates. It is there, and once your Mac sees it, it installs the update.
Here are the two steps to take:
- Open the Software Update page found on the System Preferences.
- Check the box – Automatically keep my Mac up to date.
What to do If Mac OS update doesn’t respond
Below are quick fixes you can explore if the Mac OS update fails.
- Restart your Mac: Yes, just a restart can fix so many things. Once your Mac reboots, go to System Preferences > Software Update. From here, try to install the update.
- Check if you have strong internet.
- Do the updating in Safe Mode: Here’s how to do it.
- Turn off your Mac. Once you turn it back on, immediately press and hold the Shift key until the login screen appears.
- Let go of the pressing and log in normally.
- Once you see that it entered the Safe Mode, try to update it.
- Once the update is complete, restart the Mac and let it boot normally.
There you go; you must try to update your Mac regularly. Doing so will free your mind from a lot of headaches. You have seen how to update the device and overcome some possible hiccups that may come up while you’re doing the updating.