It is no longer necessary to use the App Store on your iPhone to download apps on Apple Watch. With watchOS 6, the Apple Watch now has its own dedicated App Store. Finding and downloading apps on your Apple Watch was a complicated process. You had to open the Watch app on your iPhone, launch the App Store for your Watch and then download the apps you want for both your phone and your watch.
It is no longer so. With watchOS 6 or later, the Apple Watch now has its own dedicated App Store. This means you can browse, search and download apps for the clock directly from your wrist. Download both free and paid apps and see which apps you have downloaded in the past and which need to be updated. Now you can download an app for Apple Watch without having to download the version for your iPhone first.
Upgrade to watchOS 6
First of all, make sure you use watchOS 6 on your Apple Watch. On your iPhone, open the Watch app and go to General> Software Update. If you have watchOS 6 or later, you’re ready. Otherwise, allow the download and installation of the last update.
Configure Apple Watch settings
Next, we recommend that you set some options for the new App Store and the app downloads for the watch via your iPhone.
Open the Watch app on your phone. Many apps designed for iPhone also work on Apple Watch. Suppose you are downloading this app on your phone and you also want the version of the watch to be installed and displayed automatically. On the General screen of the Watch app, activate the switch for automatic installation of the app.
- Then, go to the My Watch section in the Watch app on your phone.
- Scroll down the screen and tap the entry for the App Store.
If you download apps compatible with the clock on another device, such as an iPad, and you want these apps to be installed on the clock, turn on the switch for automatic downloads. So if you want the apps on the watch to automatically receive new updates when they arrive, turn on the switch for Automatic Updates.
Check the settings on your watch
You can also check some settings from your watch. On your Apple Watch, go to Settings> App Store. Here you can activate and deactivate the switches for automatic downloads and automatic updates.
Download an app compatible with the clock
With Automatic app installation and automatic downloads enabled, you can download an app compatible with the clock on your iPhone or iPad and the app will appear on the clock.
- To do this, open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- On the main screen, tap the app store icon.
- You’ll see a message that says, the App Store is now on Apple Watch.
- Tap the button to discover the apps.
- The iPhone App Store then opens to show apps compatible with the clock.
- Touch the app that interests you.
- Check your iPhone, then check the clock and you’ll see the app in both points.
Use the App Store on your Apple Watch
To use the App Store on Apple Watch, touch the digital crown to access the main screen, then tap the App Store icon (it’s the one with an A in the foreground with a blue background). Now you have a couple of options.
Browse a list of recommended and featured apps. Scroll up and down on the clock screen to view the list. The list is divided into several sections. The first section shows the apps in the foreground. The second section shows the health and fitness apps. The following sections offer more app categories, such as Discover new complications and More to explore.
For some categories, you can tap a button to see everything to view all the apps currently listed.
Also read- How to block a number on your smartphone
Search for an app on Apple Watch
Alternatively, you can search for an app by name or other criteria.
- Scroll to the top of the screen and tap the Search field.
- On the next screen, enter the name or search term by dictating it or scribbling it.
- To dictate it, tap the Dictation button.
- Say the search term, then tap Done.
- To draw the search term with your finger, tap the Scribble button.
- Draw one letter after another, then tap Done.
- You can then view the search results by scrolling up and down on the screen.
View the details of the app
Download apps on Apple Watch
- To download a free app, tap the Get button.
- To download a paid app, tap the price button.
- The first time you try to download an app, a screen appears asking you to log in to the Apple Store.
- Touch the password button.
- At this point, you need to enter the password for your Apple account.
- You can choose to do so by drawing the characters in your password or by entering them on your iPhone.
- To draw each character of the password, tap the Scribble button and type each character of the password.
- To access it more easily via the phone, tap the keyboard icon.
Enter the Apple ID on your phone
On your iPhone, a keyboard input message is displayed telling you to enter text on your Apple Watch using the iOS keyboard. Tap this message and then type the password for your Apple ID on the phone.
Download the apps without entering a password
The app is then downloaded to your watch where you can then open it. The next time you try to download an app, free or paid, you will not need to enter your Apple password. Double-tap the side button to authorize the app download.
View purchased apps and check for updates
- To view the apps purchased and check for updates, scroll to the bottom of the App Store app on the clock.
- Tap the Account button.
- On the next screen, tap the Purchased button, then tap the My Purchases button to see the apps you’ve downloaded.
- Go back to the Account screen and touch the Updates button to see if there are updates to the app waiting for installation.
Delete apps from Apple Watch
- Finally, to delete an app that you have installed on your watch, press the digital crown to access the main screen.
- If you are in the grid view, lightly press down on any app icon until it starts to oscillate.
- Touch the X for the app you want to remove.
- Tap the button to delete the app.
- If you are in List view, scroll to the app you want to remove on the left.
- Tap the trash can icon to delete it, then tap the button to delete the app.