If you pair the Google Home and Arlo cameras, you no longer need to get up to see what the child is doing or what is happening in the yard. A simple Google Assistant command lets you view a live view. Also, there is an option to access Arlo by tapping the camera name in the Google Home app.
But before you keep an eye on your property and your loved ones, you need to configure Arlo and connect it to Google Home. This article guides you through the installation process at every stage of the journey, with a quick overview of compatible equipment.
Also read- How To Set Up Google Home
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
The following sections assume that you have already created Arlo and Google Home accounts. Security cameras work with enabled Google Home Hub and Chromecast devices, as well as Google’s Home / Assistant app. Here is the list of compatible cameras.
- Arlo Ultra
- Arlo Pro 2 and 3
- Arlo without wires
- Arlo Baby
- Arlo Go
- Arlo Q and Q Plus
Google Home offers you the possibility to pair multiple cameras. In addition, you can also use third-party smart speakers that work with Google Assistant.
ARLO CONNECTION TO GOOGLE HOME
The installation is quite simple and the Google Home app has an intuitive interface. But you should take some time to assign a specific name to each camera so you can easily access it using voice commands. However, these are the necessary steps.
- Start by launching the Google Home app from your smartphone. It is preloaded on most Android phones. All you have to do is touch your Google account to log in. iPhone users must first install the app. Once inside, press the big icon in the middle of the screen to start adding devices.
- The following window leads to the “Add and manage” menu and select “Configure device” in “Add to home”.
The next menu offers two options- “Configure new devices” and “Have you already configured something?” If you have not already installed and configured Arlo cameras, select the previous option. For the purposes of this article, we will go with “Having something already set up”.
Note: the wizard and actions for both options are quite similar. Therefore, this detailed guide can help you if you choose “Configure new devices”.
- In the “Add devices” menu, tap the magnifying glass icon and type Arlo to search for your devices. Tap the Arlo app that opens in the results and log in with your credentials. This action combines cameras with Google Home and lets you control Arlo within the Google environment.
- Once logged in, a security window will appear asking you to authorize the Google Assistant. Press “Allow” and proceed with the installation of the cameras. Next, you get to the “Choose device” menu and should see all the Arlo cameras installed.
- Tap a video camera to view the configuration menu for that specific device. Choose the location of your device- courtyard, bedroom, office, etc.
Actions must be repeated for all cameras. As a result, they are grouped together. At this point, your Arlo camera should appear in the main window of the Google Home app. You can touch one to preview the live feed.
RENAME YOUR ARLO CAMERA
As indicated, the camera names should be very specific, so it is easy for the AI to display the correct feed. Here’s how to rename them.
- Tap the camera from the main Google Home window and press the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Press the Name section of the menu and type the name you want to use. Tap Save when done and repeat the procedure for each camera. There are no rules for naming video cameras, but the easiest way to do this is to add Arlo in front of Office, for example.
Note: the Arlo camera settings menu also allows you to disconnect that specific device from the Google ecosystem. Tap “Disconnect Arlo” and proceed with the onscreen wizard.
THINGS TO KNOW
Unless you change the camera names, Google Assistant may be confused and upload a YouTube video instead of the camera feed. The camera feed is not loaded instantly; it takes a few seconds for the app to provide the preview. But this could depend on the speed of your internet connection.
The voice commands are simple- say- “Google shows the name of the Arlo + camera” and you will be able to see the view live. The same commands apply to all Google devices- Home Hub, Chromecast, etc.
Sometimes the system gets confused when you change its name. This shouldn’t cause you problems because the more you use it, the more you learn. And in the end, it should always provide the correct preview.
It is not necessary to underline the advantages of having an integrated IoT security system. However, it may raise some questions about privacy and about Google that could potentially browse in your home. However, the positive aspects still outweigh the potential abuses.
How many Arlo camcorders do you have? Have you paired them with an ecosystem other than Google? Let us know in the comments section below.