Whenever you try to connect to your friend’s world and see the message “Can’t connect to the world”, this can be frustrating. It is a fairly common problem, however, many players have trouble connecting to their friends’ worlds. In this article, we will try to fix the problem for you. We will list a number of solutions or tricks for this problem and one of them will help you connect to your friend’s world.
Some of these fixes are quite simple. Try one solution after another until the connection problem is resolved. Also, make sure your system has the minimum configuration required to run the game. If you have an underpowered system, even then, you may encounter this problem. So, without further ado, let’s move on.
How to fix the Minecraft “Can’t connect to the world” problem?
Add your friend again
You have the option to add friends to your Minecraft account. If, for some reason, you are unable to access their world, try removing them from your friends list and then adding them again. After that, try to connect to their world again, and if you face the same problem again, move on to the next solution.
Recharge your private world again
Sometimes, simply reloading your world can eliminate most of your Minecraft problems. So even with this problem with your friend’s world, try recharging your private world.
- Launch Minecraft.
- Click Play.
- Go to the Worlds tab and select one of your worlds.
- Open the menu and select “Save and Exit”.
- Now go back to the main menu of the game and choose the Friends tab.
- Your friend’s world should now load on the screen.
If the Unable to Connect window still appears, continue to the next solution.
Update your network drivers
Network drivers are responsible for network and system connectivity. If your driver files are corrupted or outdated, the game will have a problem loading any world. So you should try updating your network drivers and see if that fixes your problem.
There are three things you can do to update your network drivers. You can allow Windows to automatically get the latest driver and install it. You can download it yourself from the manufacturer’s site or use a third-party application for drivers.
- Press Windows key + X and choose “Device Manager” from the list of options.
- Expand “Network Adapter” in the Device Manager window.
- Within the network adapter section, you will see your network components.
- Right-click on each of these and choose “Update Driver”.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and let Windows download the latest network driver files.
If Windows cannot detect any files for the update, try downloading it manually. Just go to your PC manufacturer’s website and search for system drivers using the model number. Download the latest network driver configuration from that site and install these driver files on your computer.
If you can’t find any new network card driver update configuration on the manufacturer’s website, choose a third-party application that automatically searches for an update for your drivers and installs them directly on your PC.
If updating your network drivers also doesn’t fix the problem, skip to the next potential solution.
Change your game settings
Check your game settings and those of your friend on Xbox.com. Some settings can prevent someone from joining another world.
- Go to the settings page on the Xbox website.
- Click the Xbox One/Windows 10 Online Protection tab.
- Find the option to join multiplayer games in the list and make sure it’s set to allow.
- Click the submit button.
Also, ask your friend to do the same. If you are still stuck with the error message, move on to the next solution.
Disable your antivirus
Safe third-party applications like antivirus sometimes even prevent the suspected network connections that are potential threats. However, not all antivirus applications have this problem. There are only a few out there that may be blocking connections. So, if you are using an antivirus, try disabling it completely. To do this, open the antivirus program and disable the real-time protection function.
Now try to connect to your friend’s world again. If you see the same error message, move on to the next solution.
Disable Windows Firewall
Just like the antivirus program, Windows Firewall sometimes blocks connections too. So try making some changes to the Windows Firewall settings and see if it works for you.
- Click on the search bar and search for “Control Panel”.
- Open it once it appears in the results.
- Click the View By option in the Control Panel window and choose “Large Icons” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click on the “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall” option on the left side of the window.
- Look for the “javaw.exe” entry in the list of allowed apps and features. You may have one or more javaw.exe inputs. There will be a checkbox next to it. Make sure there is a checkmark next to each of the “javaw.exe” entries. If it is unchecked, click the “Change Settings” button and manually check the entry.
If all javaw.exe entries are checked, but you still can’t connect to your friend’s world, try the next solution.
Use a VPN service
There is a small chance that the network you are using to connect to the internet is blocking your access to your friend’s world for some reason. So try using a VPN service to mask the identity of your network. There are various free and paid VPN services. However, free VPN services usually have a very slow network speed problem. So opt for a trial period of a premium VPN service and then open up your friends’ world in your game.