If you are a Television lover, I bring you amazing news. DStv has launched a brand new feature that lets you stream its channels even when you do not own a decoder or dish. This feature works like Netflix Now, and all that is required is a smart device with internet connectivity to view DStv anywhere you are and at any time.
If you’re going on holiday, you don’t have to take anything except your mobile device, tab or laptop, just make sure the DStv Now the application is installed. You’ll be able to watch all your regular DStv channels from wherever you are, and never miss an episode or live sports – just ensure you have an internet connection (Wi-Fi or mobile data.) See How To Watch DStv Live Without Any Decoder:
You Might Also Want To Read: How To Watch HBO Movies On Showmax And DSTV Premium?
Watch DSTV Live Without Any Decoder:
DStv Now is a free application for all DSTV subscribers. With this app, you can watch your favourite content as you do at home. The app is available for smartphones, tabs, desktop computers, laptops, gaming consoles and smart TVs. To use it, go online and sign up for DSTV Now.
Download DSTV Now App For Smartphones And Tablets:
- Download the DSTV Now application from the Play Store or App Store.
- Open the application, get yourself logged in and start watching.
Get The DSTV Now App For Smart TVs And Media Players:
- Connect your Television to the internet using an ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
- Head to the App Store on your smart TV or media player and search for “DSTV Now.” If your smart TV is supported, the app will be visible.
- Tap “Install.”
- Once it is installed, the application will be visible on your TV screen.
- On a laptop or desktop, head to https://now.dstv.com/tv. You’ll be prompted to sign in before you’ll be able to link the smart TV.
- Type in the code, sign in and start to watch.
Watch DSTV Without An Internet Connection:
Not everyone has Wi-Fi access at home or during holidays, so just locate a Wi-Fi hotspot and open the DSTV Now application on a mobile phone or tab. Head to “Catch Up” in the application and find your favourite TV series, sports highlights or a film you would want to watch. Download about twenty-five films or TV series episodes and they’ll remain on your device for thirty days. (However, as soon as playback starts, you’ll have to watch within 48 hours before they expire.)
Get Discounted Video Data Bundles For DStv Now:
Vodacom has a brilliant deal on right now and you can get 1GB of DSTV Now data for R50. This is up to four hours of binge-watching on the lowest-quality setting. Just dial *135# on a Vodacom device and choose “DSTV Now” from video bundles. Choose “Low” under “Video Quality Settings.” to use less data and watch more episodes.
What You Need To Access The DSTV App:
- A valid subscription to any package – DSTV Premium, Compact Plus, or Compact.
- An internet-enabled computer, Mac, Android device, iPhone, iPad or any smartphone or tablet.
- A supported browser or DSTV App for Android or iOS.
- DSTV Connect ID (It is easy to register, and it only needs your smart card number.)
- An internet connection (Broadband connection like Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G LTE, 5G.)
- A data plan (Preferably an unlimited data plan.)
Browser Support For DSTV App:
If you are planning to stream TV shows with a browser, here are the browsers presently supporting DSTV Now:
- Chrome version 53 or higher.
- Firefox version 47 or higher.
- Internet Explorer 11 or higher on Windows 8.1 or higher.
- Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 or higher.
- Safari 9 or higher on Mac OS X 10.11 or higher.
- Opera 43 or higher on Windows 10 or higher.
With the DSTV application, you can view TV series and live TV on up to 4 devices, even though just 2 can be active simultaneously at a time.
Watch Live TV, Sports, Movies On DSTV Now:
- Head to now.dstv.com on your browser or launch the DStv Now application on your Android or iOS devices.
- Get yourself logged in with your DSTV Connect ID. You’ll have to create a Connect ID the first time you log in.
- Search for the TV series you wish to watch. Head to “Live TV” to view programmes airing now on DStv. “Catch Up” lets you watch episodes of your favourite shows that you might’ve missed. Check the TV Guide to view upcoming shows and set reminders on shows you might need to watch.
- Once a TV show you wish to watch is visible, tap it to access the details page where you can either stream or download the show.
Save Data On DSTV Now:
DStv DStv Now is all about streaming or downloading videos, meaning, large data is always involved. On top of that, some channels on DStv are available in HD quality, which means that you’ll have to spend some major money to watch in HD.
For instance, watching clips in HD can consume about 2GB for only an hour of viewing, which might be over the top for most people in Nigeria and Africa. This is why it is best to use the application only when you have subscribed to an unlimited data plan or a data plan with a large cap.
DStv Now also provides a switch in settings that lets you decrease the quality or resolution of the clip in order to save data consumption. In fact, you can decrease data consumption by up to ten folds by switching to the least quality. According to DSTV’s data, you can consume approximately 210MB per hour of viewing if you switch to “Low Video Quality.”
Even if 210MB per hour is still too much for some budgets, it is a big saving from HD quality. Therefore, to avoid spending excessively on data, it’ll be wise to lower the video quality in settings.
You Might Also Want To Read: 3 methods to Add Netflix to your DStv
Save Data On DSTV Now With Lower Video Quality:
- Head to the “More” menu.
- Click “Settings.”
- Click “Maximum Video Quality.”
- Set the required video quality, your options are – Highest, High, Medium, Low, or Lowest.
The DStv Now app also comes with an option for limiting viewing only on Wi-Fi networks. This is enabled by default. A warning will be visible every time you try to view anything while on mobile data. You’ll need to click “Continue” to keep viewing with mobile data. To avoid this warning, head into “Settings,” and toggle “Use Mobile Data.”
It also comes with an option that time out live streaming after a specific period. The default is two hours, but you can set it for as small as five minutes or as high as four hours. This feature makes sure you don’t get lost in streaming a television show. If you want, you can deactivate the feature completely.
To use this option, head to “Live Streaming Timeout” and select the timeout duration of your choice. Be aware that these features will help you to preserve data.
Countries With DSTV Now:
- South Africa
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Equatorial Guinea
- Guinea Bissau
- Ivory Coast
- Sao Tome and Principle
- Sierra Leone
- St Helena Island
There you go, if you need a detailed guide on how to watch DSTV Live without a decoder, you now know what to do and how to go about it.