If you want to enjoy the best gaming experience on your PS4, then you will surely need a VPN. These are special apps that you can use to unblock and save money on geo-blocked games. They amplify gaming speed, also reduce lag, and stream in real-time. Below we have decided to select the 11 best VPN services for PlayStation 4 and they are also compatible with PS3 and PS5 with a brief guide on how to setup free VPN on your PS4 and PS5.
- Good speeds and unlimited data for endless online gaming
- AES 256-bit encryption, strict no-logs policy, and leak protection to keep you anonymous on public gaming servers
- 17 free servers in 3 locations- Japan, Netherlands, and the US
- 1 device connection
- Works with- PS4/5 games, YouTube, Spotify
- Compatible with- Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, and more
ProtonVPN’s free plan gives you good speeds and unlimited data, so you can game as much as you want. On its website, the free plan says you get “medium” speeds. However, using the “Quick Connect” feature, I was surprised to experience only minor speed loss (the NL-FREE#9 server gave me speeds averaging 40 Mbps). I got an impressive average speed of 30 Mbps on the US-FREE#2 server as well, so even long distance servers are fast enough to play games like Fortnite on your PS4/PS5 (15 Mbps is enough).
ProtonVPN is also a super trustworthy and safe VPN. It has a strict no-logs policy so you’re sensitive information isn’t stored or shared. With 256-bit encryption, built-in leak protection, and an automatic kill switch you’re safe from online threats while gaming on public servers.
ExpressVPN tops the list as one of the best VPNs you can use. It provides high speed and comes with top-notch security that can access numerous blocked gaming content. ExpressVPN is located in the British Virgin Islands but doesn’t log user data and it provides over 3000+ servers in 94 countries.
The good news is that most of these servers are optimized for unblocking numerous streaming services, geo-blocked games, and DLC. They are also compatible with P2P file sharing. ExpressVPN offers 7 days free trial.
- Good speeds for gaming on local servers and up to 1.5GB of free data per month
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption, no-logs policy, and leak protection keeps you safe and anonymous on shared game servers
- 2,600 free servers in 25 locations
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- Works with- PS4/5 games, YouTube, Spotify
- Compatible with- Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
TunnelBear gives you access to all of its servers, so you can easily find a fast and reliable connection for gaming on your PS4/PS5. I had good speeds on local servers when I tested them (with an average of 31 Mbps on the Netherlands server) — I was able to play Fortnite without lag. However, the farther a server was the slower my speeds were — I had speeds of only 8.5 Mbps on the US server, which wasn’t fast enough for me to play games without a lot of lag.
Surfshark is one of the best VPN industries that offer the best services for PlayStation. It is budget-friendly and also versatile delivering the highest speed. This VPN is one of the best for PS4 in the sense that its located in the British Virgin Islands and also free from any retention laws.
The provider doesn’t log user data and they shield you from online surveillance and ISP eyes. It has over 3200+ servers in 65 countries and they are well optimized to produce the fastest gaming speeds.
NordVPN brings in some exceptional features for PlayStation, making it one of the best for PS users. It has a friendly app, fast speeds, great security and it also allows users to unblock unlimited content. NordVPN offers both secure and private connections to anyone who needs online protection. Its headquarter is in Panama which is one of the private-friendly regions. It has a huge platform of 5500+ servers in 59 countries. The VPN servers are optimized for streaming and torrenting activities.
- Fast speeds for gaming and 500MB of free data per day (around 15GB per month)
- AES 256-bit encryption and leak protection to keep you safe while gaming online
- 1 server- US
- 1 device connection
- Works with- YouTube, Spotify
- Compatible with- Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
Hotspot Shield has its own unique security protocol called Hydra — it’s super secure and built to improve speeds over long-distance connections. This is pretty necessary because if you use the free plan, you only have access to 1 server and it’s in the US. That means if your actual location is far away from there, your speeds will be slower. However, I was impressed with my speeds using Hydra during my tests. From my location in Western Europe, I had an average speed of 30 Mbps on the free US server. Since 15 Mbps is enough, I was able to play GTAV online without lag on my PS4.
Visit IPVanish is one of the VPN providers that you can use to unblock content in the US. It is also one of the best VPN services for PS4 which is mainly because of its ability to unblock a huge plethora of gameplay content ranging from quests, multi-user, strategy, and more.
This is a US-based VPN and is known for its strict on enforcing its no-data logging policies. It offers 1300+ servers in 75+ countries, with most of its servers in the US. Further, IPVanish can also unblock multiple other streaming services and social media platforms such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, ESPN, DAZN, HBO, Facebook, YouTube, etc.
- Good speeds for gaming and 10GB of free data per month
- AES 256-bit encryption, strict no-logs policy, and leak protection to keep you safe on public gaming servers
- 5 servers- Canada, the US (west and east), Netherlands, and Germany
- 1 device connection
- Works with- PS4/5 games, YouTube, Spotify
- Compatible with- Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
You get good speeds for gaming with hide.me. I tested the German and Netherlands servers (since they’re closest to my location) and had an average speed of 39 Mbps, which is more than double what you really need (15 Mbps is fast enough for most games). Even on the Canadian server I had a steady 29 Mbps and could play GTAV online without noticeable lag.
With military-grade encryption and built-in leak protection your personal info is hidden, leaving you well-protected while gaming online. When I ran the free servers through tests, no IP or DNS leaks were found. I also really liked that you can choose between 4 security protocols with the free plan (including IKEv2 and OpenVPN). Most free VPNs don’t give you so much choice. Unfortunately, the fastest option (WireGuard) is only available to premium users, so I stuck with IKEv2 because it gave me better speeds.
CyberGhost is also known as one of the best VPN services for PlayStation. This is one of the best reliable VPN providers known for its unblocking abilities and transforming your gaming consoles into a media platform. First, the CyberGhost is located in a privacy-friendly region in Romania which is far away from surveillance countries.
It follows a strict no-logging policy, meaning users won’t have to worry about their data being stored anyway. It has around 6600+ servers optimized for streaming and torrenting across 90 countries. This VPN service provider support PS3, PS4, and other device and operating system.
Windscribe is also another best free VPN plan and also very secure. It makes use of AES-256 encryption with an OpenVPN protocol. Windscribe VPN can effectively bypass geoblocks surrounding Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and BBC iPlayer. It offers 165 server locations spread across more than 60 countries.
Private Internet Access is an affordable and well-rounded VPN service provider. This PIA is highly secure and will work perfectly with PS4 and PS5. Further, it offers over 3,400 servers spread across 64 locations. It also features MACE, which is a sophisticated type of ad blocker. Just like NordVPN, it has a WireGuard for advanced security protection and fast gaming performance.
How to Setup VPN on PS4 and PS5
Setting VPN on PS4 and PS5 is kind of complicated. However, all the VPN service provider has a guide on their website that you can follow to set it up. Further, the easy way to set up a VPN on your PS4 is by using your PC or laptop’s internet connection. You can also use an ethernet cable, or better still set it up on your router.
Warning – Free VPNs to Avoid and Why
You always need to be careful when considering free VPNs. There are a lot of dangerous and untrustworthy apps out there that can share your data with third parties and advertisers without your knowledge. I also came across numerous free VPNs that were riddled with malware and other viruses during my tests. The following VPNs are not safe and should be avoided:
- Hola– Hola advertises itself as a VPN, but it’s not. It’s a P2P network where other people use your computer’s IP address. Meaning, if someone uses your IP address and does something illegal, you could be the one who gets in trouble.
- CrossVPN– Was infected by a trojan virus that installed itself onto the devices of anyone who downloaded the app.
- OKVPN– When I tested OKVPN, it made ads appear in other apps on my device.
- EasyVPN– Also can make unwanted ads show up in other apps.
- Psiphon– Its partner companies can track your data usage and use it to send you targeted ads.
- Hoxx VPN– Not actually a VPN, but a proxy. It keeps logs of your activity to sell to third parties.
- Archie VPN– Infested with malware.
- Hat VPN– It shares its free users’ location and is full of malware.
- SuperVPN– Stores logs and is also infested with malware.
- Tuxler– Keeps logs and shares that info with advertisers.
- GO VPN– This isn’t a VPN, but a proxy server. You’ll see targeted ads within its app, suggesting it shares your personal data.
- Hexatech– Also a proxy that gives advertisers access to your browsing history and data.
- FinchVPN– Comes with lots of malware.
- VPN One Click– Installs malware onto your device.
Tips on How to Choose the Best Free VPN for PS4/PS5
Of all the free VPNs I tested, most of them couldn’t even be set up on a PlayStation console. After narrowing down the ones that actually work on PlayStation, these were the other crucial features I looked for that can help you decide which free PS4/PS5 VPN is best for you:
- A completely free service– I made sure my recommendations don’t require billing information, so you’re guaranteed privacy and you won’t be accidentally charged.
- Enough speed and data for gaming: It’s best to have download speeds of 15 Mbps for smooth online gaming. Of course, it depends on the game, but all of these VPNs gave me speeds well over this recommendation. You’ll need a free service that doesn’t cap speeds and offers enough data so you can game safely for at least a few hours (minimum 1.5GB per month).
- Easy to set up on PlayStation: Keep in mind, PS4/PS5 consoles aren’t VPN compatible. You need to make sure that the free VPN supports connection sharing on PCs (all of the ones in this list do), so you can easily connect your PlayStation with your computer.
- Strong security and privacy: Many free VPNs aren’t trustworthy and some of them aren’t strong enough to keep your online activity fully protected. All of the free VPNs in this list have strong 256-bit encryption, leak protection, and don’t store any information that can identify you personally. You should look for a free VPN that offers these security features (at the very least), so you’re safe while gaming online.
- Can bypass some geoblocks: Since streaming services are constantly upgrading their VPN-blocking technologies, it’s really hard to find a free VPN that can overcome the blocks. Not many free services update their servers and some only offer a few to free users, so it’s best to find a VPN with a lot of server locations. However, that still won’t guarantee you access. I only found 2 free VPNs that could bypass geoblocks for streaming- ExpressVPN (reliably) and Speedify (not so reliably).
How to Set Up a Free VPN on Your PlayStation
There are a few different ways to connect your PlayStation to a VPN. You can’t just download and install a VPN from the PlayStation Store because PS4/PS5 consoles aren’t compatible with them. The fastest way to connect your PlayStation to a VPN is to use one that comes with SmartDNS, like ExpressVPN. This lets you stream geoblocked content directly on your console. However, it won’t encrypt your traffic or hide your IP address.
If you want full protection, then you need to connect your PS4/PS5 using your VPN-enabled router or PC. Most free VPNs don’t offer router support, so you’ll have to use your computer which can decrease speeds. I always use ExpressVPN because you can set it up with SmartDNS, your router, and your PC and none of the other free VPNs offer this level of versatility.
With SmartDNS (using ExpressVPN)
- Download ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN’s SmartDNS (MediaStreamer) only took me 2 minutes to set up on my PS4 (and you can test it out risk-free because it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee).
- Activate your IP address. Log into your ExpressVPN account dashboard (in your web browser) and click “DNS Settings” in the left column. You can toggle on “Automatically register my IP address” to do it automatically.
- Take note of the DNS code. Once your IP is registered, you’ll be shown a DNS code. Keep this code nearby because you’ll need to input it into your PS4/PS5’s network settings.
- Turn on your PS4/PS5. Go to Settings > Network > Set up your internet connection > Custom.
- Configure your connection. Choose “WiFi” if your PS4/PS5 is connected to the internet over WiFi. Choose “LAN cable” if it’s connected using an ethernet cable. Choose Automatic > Do Not Specify > Manual (for DNS settings). Input the DNS codes from step 3. Then continue the setup and select Automatic > Do Not Use. Select “Test Your Internet Connection” and then restart your console.
- Start streaming movies and TV shows! Choose a streaming app and watch shows that usually aren’t available to you directly on your PS4/PS5!
With Windows Ethernet
- Download a free VPN. ExpressVPN is my favorite because it has a huge server network to bypass geoblocks and lightning-fast speeds for gaming (and you can test it out risk-free for 30 days).
- Connect your PlayStation to your computer. Connect your PS4/PS5 to your computer with an ethernet cable. If you can connect your PC to your router with another ethernet cable, I recommend doing so for faster speeds.
- Go to Network and Sharing Center. On your PC, go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Share your VPN’s connection. Click “Change Adapter Settings”. Right-click the adapter with your VPN’s name and select Properties > Sharing > Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection. Under “Home Networking Connection”, choose your PS4/PS5’s ethernet connection.
- Connect your VPN. Just open your VPN app and connect to the server you want.
- Set up your PS4/PS5’s connection. On your console, go to Settings > Network > Connect to the internet > Use a LAN cable > Easy. If prompted, select “Do not use a proxy server”.
- Start gaming! You’re ready to game safely online!
With Windows WiFi
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has superfast speeds for online shooters and unblocks a ton of popular streaming apps on PS4/PS5 (plus you can try it risk-free for 30 days).
- Activate mobile hotspot. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot and turn on your mobile hotspot. Set “Share my internet connection from” to “WiFi”.
- Create a network name and password. Click “Edit” and choose a network name and password.
- Share your VPN connection. Scroll down and click Related settings > Change adapter options. Right-click on the adapter with your VPN’s name and select Properties > Sharing > Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection. Under “Home Networking Connection”, choose the hotspot connection you created in step 2. It should be active already.
- Connect to a server. Open your VPN app and connect to a server.
- Set up your PS4/PS5’s network connection. On your PS4/PS5, go to Settings > Network > Connect to the internet > Use WiFi. Find your mobile hotspot and enter the password.
- Start gaming! You can now game safely online!
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because its speeds are more than fast enough for fast-paced shooter games and it unblocks so many streaming apps (plus you can try it risk-free for 30 days).
- Connect your Mac to your PlayStation. Use an ethernet cable or skip this step if you’re using Wifi. However, if you can connect your Mac to the internet using an ethernet cable, you’ll get a more reliable connection on your PlayStation.
- Share your internet connection. Go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing. Under “Share your connection from”, choose your VPN. Under “To computers using”, choose WiFi if you’re using WiFi or ethernet if you’re using an ethernet cable.
- Choose a network name and password. (Skip this step if you’re using ethernet.) Click “WiFi options” and name and choose a password for your hotspot. If you see a pop-up that says, “To share your Internet connection, you must turn on WiFi”, click “Turn WiFi On”.
- Turn on Internet Sharing. If you get a pop-up that says, “Are you sure you want to turn on Internet sharing?”, click on “Start”.
- Connect to your VPN. Run your VPN app with your Mac and connect to a server.
- Set up your PlayStation’s connection. Go to Settings > Network > Connect to the internet. For WiFi setup- choose WiFi and connect to the network you created in step 4. For ethernet setup- select Use a LAN cable > Easy. Select “Do not use a proxy server” if prompted.
- Start gaming! You can now game safely online with your PS4/PS5!
With Your Router
Using a VPN on your router means that every device connected to the router is protected by the VPN as well. However, very few free VPNs offer router support. You’ll have to use the computer method instead, which can slow down your speeds a bit.
Only 2 of the free VPNs in this list offer router support (ExpressVPN and ProtonVPN). I recommend using ExpressVPN because it’s easy to set up and has fast gaming speeds with tons of servers to choose from. Keep in mind every router and VPN provider will have its own set of steps to get set up. For detailed steps about how to set up your VPN on your router, visit your provider’s website or contact its customer support.
FAQs on Using a Free VPN on Your PS4/PS5
Will a free VPN unblock Netflix on my PlayStation?
Probably not. Free VPNs are rarely powerful enough to bypass Netflix’s anti-VPN software. They simply don’t have the resources to continuously replace IP addresses that have been blacklisted by Netflix.
I always recommend ExpressVPN for unblocking geo-restricted content on PlayStation because it has a massive server network that’s constantly updated. That means if Netflix flags a specific IP address and blocks it, ExpressVPN will soon update it to a new one that works. You can test ExpressVPN completely risk-free because it offers a money-back guarantee. Then you can unblock streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and HBO Max on your PS4/PS5 reliably at and claim a full refund within 30 days if you’re still not satisfied.
What is the best free VPN for gaming?
I recommend ExpressVPN to anyone who wants to use a VPN for gaming. Free VPNs generally limit your speeds, data, and server selection so much that they’re too slow and not ideal for gaming. You can test ExpressVPN out for yourself without risk because it’s backed by a money-back guarantee. If you’re not impressed, just claim a full refund within 30 days. That way you get unlimited bandwidth, super-fast connections, and a massive selection of servers worldwide.
ProtonVPN is the best completely free option for gaming. But keep in mind that you can only use 3 servers that are usually overcrowded (so they can be slow).
Are free VPNs safe to use on PS4 and PS5?
How do I get a free VPN on my PlayStation?
You need to connect your PS4/PS5 to a device that is compatible with VPNs. For the best speeds and performance, using a router is ideal. However, most free VPNs don’t offer router support unless you pay for a premium membership. So, you can also connect your PlayStation to your PC’s VPN-enabled internet connection. I made sure all the free VPNs in this list support VPN sharing, so you can use your PC to connect your console without hassle.
Can I get games cheaper and earlier with a VPN?
No. A VPN doesn’t allow you to change the region of your PSN account, which is what determines which PS Store you have access to. If you want to access games that are released earlier in other regions (or that cost less because of conversion rates) all you need to do is create a new PSN account and select the appropriate region. Keep in mind, you also need a payment method linked to that region.
Why should I use a VPN on my PlayStation?
A VPN can benefit your PS4/PS5 in a few ways. However, free VPNs usually limit the number of benefits you’ll have, like speed and how many servers you can use. If you want a VPN that offers all of the features below (plus more), I recommend ExpressVPN because you can test it out risk-free (it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee) without any limitations.
- It masks your IP address. Your real IP address is hidden, so you’re protected against online threats (like DDoS attacks that spam your IP to overload your connection, crashing your game).
- It can speed up your internet connection. Some ISPs put speed caps on your network (during peak times or for high bandwidth activities). A VPN encrypts your traffic so your ISP doesn’t know what you’re doing online and this prevents it from throttling your speeds.
- It gives you access to international game servers. If you want to play on game servers in other countries, choose a VPN server in that country and you’ll connect to the one closest to your VPN server.
- It can bypass geoblocks set by streaming apps. You can access geo-restricted Netflix libraries and other streaming services like Hulu, Disney+, and HBO Max on your PS4/PS5.
Even though some free VPNs have strong security features to keep you safe while gaming, they have too many limitations like slow speeds, limited data, and can’t be set up on gaming consoles. They also struggle to unblock popular streaming platforms, so you might not be able to stream your favorite shows on your PS4/PS5.
That’s why my top choice is ExpressVPN because it has superfast speeds for gaming and streaming, strong security features, and is really easy to set up on PS4/PS5. You can try it risk-free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee and ask for a full refund if you don’t think it’s right for you.