To take full advantage of the torrents, you need to spend some time learning more about this technology. Finding a healthy torrent (with many seeders) is only part of this process. Even healthy torrents sometimes discharge slowly and take many hours to complete. This is why we will talk about how to make uTorrent faster. We have prepared a series of useful suggestions, so let’s start.
The best torrent clients of 2019
Before you begin, you need to know that there are many suggestions for making uTorrent faster. Sometimes, you will need to combine some to “wake up” uTorrent and give him instructions to use your Web connection to your full advantage. So make sure you read this article in its entirety.
10 best tips and tricks on how to make uTorrent faster
1. Make sure you know the limits of your web connection
Before you even start telling yourself how to make uTorrent faster, there is one important thing you need to know. You can download files from the Web only at the speed allowed by your Internet connection. So, let’s take a look at how fast you can download torrents using a simple web-based diagnostic tool.
- Visit speedtest.net using your favorite web browser. Make sure you don’t download or transmit anything. In other words, close all the other tabs on your browser and focus only on the Speed Test;
- Once the page is open, click on the prominent ‘GO‘ button. Wait a few moments until the test ends. There are two components of this test: the speed download and upload;
- The author of this article has an Internet speed of 98 Mbps. To see how quickly you can actually download files from the Web, you have to divide that number by 8. So the end result is 98/8 = 12.2 Mbps. In other words, uTorrent should be able to download torrents at the speed of 12 megabytes per second, not more.
- Be sure to calculate your speed, to know if you are already downloading as quickly as possible. Otherwise, some changes to uTorrent are required.
2. Add uTorrent to Windows Firewall exceptions
During uTorrent installation, you will be asked if you want to allow uTorrent to be added to the Windows Firewall list. In case you missed it, Windows could block uTorrent, which is a huge obstacle for the torrent client. Here’s how to solve.
- Open uTorrent;
- Go to Options> Preferences or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + P;
- Click on “Connect” and check the box next to “Add Windows Firewall exception”;
- Press the ‘Apply’ button and click on ‘OK’.
3. Enable mapping of UPnP ports
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is a protocol that allows simpler peer-to-peer communication between devices. In this case, we’re talking about uTorrent that communicates with your router. By enabling this option, you can more easily connect to seeders and achieve higher speeds.
- Start uTorrent on your computer;
- Go to Options> Preferences;
- On the left side of the window, click on “Connection“;
- Finally, make sure the box next to “Enable UPnP port mapping” is checked.
- Click “OK” to apply the changes.
4. Assign the correct bandwidth to uTorrent
Although this does not seem logical, the allocation of excessive bandwidth may slow down torrents. The key is to optimize this option to make sure uTorrent isn’t doing too much work – and that’s how you can make uTorrent faster. Here’s how to optimize this relationship.
- Open uTorrent and go to Options> Preferences;
- Click “Width of the band” in the sidebar located on the left;
- First of all, check the box next to “Apply rate limit for air transport“;
- Then, change the number of maximum global connections to 2329;
- It is also necessary to change the number of maximum peers connected to 257;
- Finally, change the number of upload slots per torrent to 14;
- Click “Apply“, then “OK“.
5. Switch from one door to another (open)
A couple of years ago, using the right door (which is also open to unlimited web traffic) was extremely important. While this doesn’t play an important role when it comes to torrents, it’s always wise to try this solution.
- While uTorrent is open, go to Options> Preferences;
- Click on “Connection” in the sidebar;
- Now change the port for incoming connection with a number between 10000 and 12000;
- Click “Apply” and “OK“.
6. Optimize correctly uTorrent Queuing
This small but effective change allows you to optimize the torrent download order. This is especially useful if you have the habit of downloading several torrents simultaneously.
- Open uTorrent and go to Options> Preferences ;
- Click on “Queuing” in the sidebar;
- Now, make sure you set the number of active maximum torrents and active downloads to 10;
- Set the global minimum seeding ration to 0 ;
- Apply the changes and click “OK“.
7. Give priority to Torrent downloads
Did you know that you can also prioritize torrents while downloading to your computer? This will tell uTorrent to put more resources into a torrent, the one you want to download first.
- Right-click on a torrent that you want to prioritize;
- Now select Bandwidth Allocation and select ‘High‘;
- Do the same for other torrents, but select “Low“. This speeds up the torrent with priority and slows down those without priority.
8. Use only the latest stable version of uTorrent
Just like any other application, uTorrent is subject to bugs and technical problems. Therefore, you must ensure that you always use the latest version available.
- Open uTorrent on your device;
- Go to Help> Check for updates;
- The app now checks for updates. If a new version is found, you will be asked if you wish to update;
- The latest update should be downloaded and installed in the background.
- Restart the application.
9. Prioritize uTorrent via Task Manager
In some cases, you can make uTorrent faster by using Windows Task Manager to prioritize this application. Take a look at how this can be done.
- While uTorrent is running, press CTRL + ALT + DELETE;
- You will see a blue screen with different options. Open Task Manager;
- Make sure you select the ‘Processes‘ tab at the top of the window and then find uTorrent;
- Right-click on the name of this application, then select “Go to details“;
- You will be directed to another tab with uTorrent already selected. Click the right mouse button again;
- Now go to Set Priority> High.
- That’s all!
10. Be sure to avoid Wi-Fi interference
In case you use Wi-Fi in your home, there are a number of reasons why you may not get the maximum speed of your connection. So here are some useful tips.
- Today’s routers support 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels. Even the cheapest routers can handle 2.4 GHz connections and this can create interference, especially in condominiums. Since there are too many connections using the same channel, this can easily cause interference. A good solution is to invest in a router that supports 5 GHz.
- If you don’t want to invest in a new router, a good solution is to use a wired connection. This means connecting to the Ethernet port of the router.
What do you think of our guide on how to make uTorrent faster? We hope you found some useful tips. If you have something to add, don’t hesitate to post a comment below.