How to use the LG or third-party screen-sharing app. Watching videos on a smartphone or tablet is excellent. However, if you have an LG Smart TV, instead of looking on the small screen of your smartphone, look at those images on the larger TV screen. There are several ways to mirror the screen on LG TV:
- Screen Share (Screen Mirroring).
- Share content
Screen mirroring features on LG Smart TVs
One way to view your smartphone on an LG TV is with Screen Mirroring. Almost all Android phones have this capability. LG labels its TV screen mirroring function as Screen Share.
Mirroring from iPhone / iPad directly on most LG Smart TVs may not be possible. However, alternative solutions are available, which we will explain after the following mirroring section of the Android screen.
The screen mirroring function on different brands/models of smartphones can be defined as:
- Screen Share or Smart Share (LG)
- Wireless Display (aka WiDi)
- Display mirroring
- HTC Connect
- Wi-Fi direct
Here’s how to use an Android phone’s screen sharing with an LG Smart TV:
- Turn on your LG Smart TV and select Share screen from the main menu.
- On a smartphone, tap Settings (or screen mirroring icon), choose where to play media (or a similar step), then select your LG smart TV from the device list. The phone may take a few minutes to detect the TV.
In the remaining steps, the phone is on the left, and the LG TV screen is on the right.
- Touch the LG TV listed to start the connection process on your smartphone. Your phone and TV will display their connection status.
- The screen of the smartphone or tablet will be displayed on LG TV at the end of the procedure.
In most cases, the smartphone contents, on-screen menus, and setting options will be displayed on the LG TV screen.
- To end a screen mirroring session, tap Disconnect in the smartphone’s screen mirroring settings (if available), turn off your smartphone, switch to another function on the TV, or turn off the TV. If you are playing content from a specific app, playback will stop if you use another function on your smartphone.
Screen Mirroring with iPhone and iPad
Some LG 2019 TV models (OLED series B9, C9, E9, W9, R9, Z9, and NanoCell series SM9X / SM8X, UHD UM7X) with Apple AirPlay 2 support allow screen mirroring directly from iPhone / iPad.
LG 2018 and previous Smart TVs do not allow screen mirroring directly from iPhone / iPad.
If you have an LG smart TV that is not compatible with AirPlay 2, the possible alternative solutions include:
- Third-party apps: some apps allow screen mirroring from an iPhone / iPad to an LG Smart TV, including Cast video and TV, Airbeam, Airmore, and Mirror for LG Smart TV Streamer Cast. LG does not guarantee that third-party screen mirroring apps will work on all LG Smart TVs; some of these apps can also be used with Android phones.
- Indirect screen mirroring- this can be done from an iPhone / iPad to an Apple TV or Chromecast device, which in turn passes the mirror content to an LG TV via an HDMI connection.
To use an iPhone with Chromecast, the iPhone must be running iOS 6 or later.
Screen Mirroring from PC to LG Smart TV
In addition to smartphones, you can also mirror a PC or laptop on an LG TV using the Screen Share app.
- Open the Screen Share app on your LG TV.
- On your PC, go to Settings > Devices.
- Select Bluetooth and other devices > Add Bluetooth or Other device.
- In the dialog that appears, select Add a device (Choose Wireless Display or Dock).
- Then select LG TV and wait for confirmation.
- Once the connection is confirmed, make sure that the projection mode is set to Duplicate to get an exact mirror of the PC screen on LG TV.
- Once the PC steps are completed, everything that is visible on the PC screen is played on LG Smart TV.
- To end a screen mirroring session, select the Disconnect prompt in the small black rectangular box at the top of the PC screen, switch to another function on the TV, or turn off the TV.
LG Screen Share can also be used by connecting the PC to the LG TV via an HDMI cable.
Stream your smartphone content to an LG Smart TV
Another way to view content from an Android phone on an LG Smart TV is via Casting.
LG Smart TVs incorporate DIAL (Discovery and Launch). This allows you to transmit selected apps (currently YouTube and Netflix) directly from an Android phone or tablet to an LG Smart TV without having to connect an additional Chromecast device.
Although similar to sharing the LG screen (screen mirroring), there are differences:
- The smartphone or tablet and the TV must be on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Transmission via the DIAL system only works with selected apps.
- Only the content is shown on the TV screen. The smartphone setting icons remain on the smartphone screen.
- While broadcast content is played back on the TV, you can perform other tasks on the smartphone at the same time or even turn it off.
- If an app for Android smartphones or tablets is compatible with DIAL transmission, a Cast logo will be displayed on the phone screen.
- The app you are broadcasting must be installed on smartphones/tablets and TVs.
Here are the steps for using this feature.
- Turn on the LG Smart TV.
- Open a compatible app (YouTube or Netflix) on your Android phone.
In order for the casting to use the DIAL system to work, the app you are broadcasting must be installed on a smartphone or tablet and TV.
- Tap the Cast icon at the top of the screen of the chosen app, then tap LG Smart TV as a device you want to broadcast.
If an app has a broadcast icon, but LG TV is not listed, this means that the content cannot be broadcast on LG TV without the addition of an external Chromecast device.
- Now you can watch the content you’ve selected on your smartphone on LG Smart TV.
The content sharing option
While Screen Share is the most direct way to mirror a smartphone or a PC screen on an LG Smart TV, LG provides additional options through the TV device connector settings.
When you select Device Connector from the main screen, you access a menu that includes connection options for all devices, including a smartphone or a PC.
The Screen Share can also be accessed from the LG TV Device Connector in addition to direct access from the main menu. However, since its function was discussed above, the following focuses on the Content Share option, which can only be accessed via the Device Connector.
Select Content Share, and you will be guided through the steps on your smartphone and LG TV.
Once you have completed the steps, you will see a menu for sharing photos, music, and video files on the screen of your LG TV. This allows you to play compatible files in those categories from your smartphone on your LG TV.
Content Share also allows an LG Smart TV to access and play compatible music, photo, and video files stored on a PC or laptop.
The LG Smart Share app must be installed on your PC or laptop in order for the Content Share function to work with both the PC and the TV.
After selecting Content Share for PC and following the connection steps required on the PC and LG TV, you will see a menu for sharing photos, music, and video files on the LG TV screen. When you select a category, you will be able to view compatible files stored on your PC on LG TV.