Connecting a PlayStation 3 controller to an Android device is a great way to improve your mobile gaming experience. Some types of games are best played with a controller or joystick. Another reason to use a video game controller is with a device that has lost touch functionality but still turns on.
For non-root devices, a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable, which costs approximately $ 5- $ 10, is enough to start using the PlayStation 3 controller with the Android device. For those of you with root access, the Sixaxis Controller app for Android will allow you to use the PS3 controller to Android wirelessly via Bluetooth.
How to connect the PS3 controller to Android (without root)
To use a PlayStation 3 controller with Android, you will need an OTG cable that supports your device.
- Connect the OTG cable to the phone or tablet.
- Connect the appropriate USB charging cable to the PS3 controller.
- Connect the USB charging cable to the female end of the OTG cable.
- Once all cables are connected correctly, a selection box will appear around an icon on the device. Now you can use the controller to play and surf with your phone or tablet.
It may take a few seconds for the device to recognize the PS3 controller.
How to connect the PS3 controller to Android with Sixaxis (root)
Sixaxis Controller for Android is a paid application that will pair the PlayStation 3 controller to your phone or tablet. The app costs $ 2.49, requires root access to your Android device, and supports Android 2.3 and above. Before purchasing Sixaxis Controller, download and run Sixaxis Compatibility Checker to make sure the app supports the device.
- Download and install the Sixaxis Controller app from the Play Store.
- Tap the green button to buy the app.
- Touch Buy.
- Select your payment method from the drop-down menu, then tap BUY.
- Enter the password for your Google Account, then tap Confirm.
- Tap Continue once the payment has been successful.
- Touch Open.
- Tap Start.
- Tap Grant when the request for superuser permissions is displayed.
- Enter the code 0000 or 1234, then touch OK.
- Once connected to the PS3 controller, the app will display the message; Client 1 connected [Battery status:].
- Launch your favorite game or emulator, then tap Preferences or Settings.
- Tap Select input method.
- Tap Set input methods.
- Tap the default keyboard.
- Select Sixaxis Controller.
- Tap OK when the dialog appears.
If you intend to buy Android games, always check that it supports the use of a PS3 controller.