How to update the iOS operating system on an iPhone or iPad. Do you want to have the latest version of the operating system on your smartphone or tablet? Discover all the steps to follow to update iOS on your iPhone or iPad.
In this article, we explain everything you need to consider before updating the iOS operating system, as well as, logically, the steps you need to follow to install the latest iOS.
What to do before updating iOS on your iPhone or iPad
Create a backup with iCloud or iTunes
The first thing to do before installing a new version of the operating system is to create a backup of your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. For this, you can use both iCloud and iTunes.
- Verify that you have access to iCloud or iTunes, plus a computer and an additional device that you can use later to access the backup copy.
- If you choose to create a backup using iCloud, you must first activate the option by going to “Settings” and tapping your photo above. Now, press “iCloud“. In the new screen, scroll down and tap on “Copy to iCloud“.
Next, activate the switch on the right, keeping in mind that in this way it will interrupt the saving of a backup copy on the computer during synchronization with iTunes. Then, you can create the copy as long as you have space on your iCloud.
- Alternatively, you can use iTunes to create a backup of your device. You will need to connect it to a PC or Mac using a USB cable and have the program installed on your computer.
When you connect your iPhone or iPad to your PC or Mac, iTunes will open automatically. Now it’s icon of the cell under the toolbar to open the preferences of your device.
Then, choose where you want to save the backup – on iCloud or on your computer – and click on the “Create a copy now” button.
Save a copy of the old version of iOS
Although this second step can be skipped without problems, we recommend taking it into consideration, as it will probably make things easier for you if you regret having installed the latest version of the iOS operating system.
This involves creating a copy of the version currently in use before updating the device, which can be accessed later. However, keep in mind that sometimes this is not possible. You can download it again from iTunes.
Before updating the iOS operating system, connect the device to a power outlet
There is nothing worse than being without battery in the middle of an upgrade. This is why we strongly recommend that you charge your device’s battery especially if it is below 50%.
Connect the device to a Wi-Fi network
Finally, remember to connect your device to a reliable Wi-Fi network during the entire update, especially if you don’t have a good 3G or 4G connection. This will also avoid consuming mobile data.
How to install the latest version of iOS on your iPhone or iPad
After performing the previous steps, now it’s time to update the iOS operating system, finally the latest version available for your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to “Settings” on your iPhone or iPad and touch the “General” option. If you see that a number appears in a red circle next to it, an iOS update is likely to be available. Then click on the “Software Update” and wait for your device are the available update.
- Before proceeding with the download and installation of the latest version of iOS, we advise you to take a look at all the related information that you will find if you touch “More information“.
- After reading the information, click “Back” in the upper left corner to return to the previous screen. Now click on “Download and install“. You will need to enter your password and accept the terms and conditions.
- During the update download process, you can continue to use your smartphone or tablet, as it will all take place in the background.
- Now, click “Install Now” so that your iPhone or iPad starts installing the latest iOS update. Remember that it may take some time.
- Finally, check that the new version of the operating system is installed by returning to the “Software update” section in the “Settings”. The following message should appear- “The software is up to date.”
How to update the iOS operating system if you have a beta installed
Before the arrival of a new iOS update, the developers have the option of installing a beta version on their device, which at some point is also available for the general public.
Now you can have one of those beta versions installed on your iPhone. You must know that to install the full version of the new iOS update you must first get rid of this beta version.
You can do this by going to “Settings” on your iPhone or iPad, select “General “, followed by” Profile “. Here, touch “iOS beta software profile” and click “Delete profile “. You must confirm the action by entering your password.